LandPKS in Use
Teachers and Students
LandPKS offers a suite of tools for teachers and students. Learn to identify the soil at your location and determine how much water the soil can store. Plan and record gardening activities. Monitor soil health.
A Simple Tool for Teachers and Students
With the LandPKS app, you can identify your soil based on your location and improve that identification with your own observations. Monitor soil health with simple field observations. Easily collect vegetation cover and composition data with a yardstick. Keep data private or share with others on the Data Portal. Explore and download data from throughout the world. For instructions on getting started with LandPKS, download the user guide below.
Soil Identification and Site Characterization
- Identify soil at your site based on your location and NRCS (US) or FAO (International) data
- Record slope, texture, and color for more accurate soil ID
- Access estimates of the infiltration rate and water holding capacity of the soil at your site. View how these change with increased soil organic matter.
- Access climate data at your site including temperature, precipitation, and growing degree days
Determine Land Capability Class (LCC)
- For international users: Calculate LCC to determine potential uses and degradation risks based on soil identification and limitations of your site. Remove limitations for a user-defined LCC based on your management.
- For US users: Access USDA-determined LCC based on your soil identification.
Monitor Soil Health
- Plan and track land management activities like plantings, weed and pest management, and erosion control
- Track visual observations like soil smell and biological activity
- Store lab data with your field observations for easy reference
Easily Collect Vegetation Cover and Composition Data
- Measure cover, composition, and height vegetation in 20 minutes using a yardstick
© Terri Schulz, courtesy of The Nature Conservancy
Discover Potential Wildlife Species in Your Area (North America only)
- View a selection of species that may occur near your location
- Compare species’ habitat with your data
Find tutorials, videos, and helpful guides for using LandPKS. Learn more about the methods used in the app. Access student and teacher resources. Access helpful resources for managing your land.
Resources for K-12 teachers and students to use LandPKS to learn about and measure soil & vegetation.
Training & User Guides
Videos and downloadable guides to quickly learn how to use LandPKS, as well as tech support.
LandPKS Modules & Functions
Descriptions and background information for each of the LandPKS modules.
From Our Blog
News, updates, and deep-dives into the LandPKS platform and resources for sustainable land management.
LandPKS in the Field
Download LandPKS today for free and discover the value and potential of your land. Use this information to plan and track management actions, and to monitor soil health and vegetation indicators over time.
Details on upcoming LandPKS trainings, webinars, conferences, and other events.
© Mark Godfrey, courtesy of The Nature Conservancy
Spring 2021 | Date and time TBA
To introduce our new Habitat Module, we will be conducting a webinar training together with our partner, The Nature Conservancy. Though this iteration of the Habitat Module only features select species in North America, the webinar is open to all. Check back for more details and for a link to register as the event draws nearer.