LandPKS in Use
LandPKS offers a suite of tools for community scientists. Identify soils, characterize your specific site, and determine how much water your soil will hold. Plan and record gardening activities. Monitor soil health with simple field observations. Crowdsource management information and access global data.
© Tegan May, courtesy of The Nature Conservancy
A Simple Tool for Community Scientists
With the LandPKS app, you can identify your soil and (in rangelands) your ecological site based on location and your own inputs. Collect BLM-AIM and NRCS-NRI compatible vegetation cover and composition indicators. Monitor soil health with simple field observations. Keep data private or share with others on the Data Portal. For instructions on getting started with LandPKS, download the user guide below.
Soil and Ecological Site Identification
- Identify your soil and site characteristics
- Record slope, texture, and color for more accurate soil ID
- Determine your ecological site and access information about potential vegetation and restoration options through the Ecosystems Dynamics Interpretive Tool (EDIT) (US only)
- Access estimates of the infiltration rate and water holding capacity of the soil at your site and view how these change with increased soil organic matter
- Access climate data at your site including temperature, precipitation, and growing degree days
Collect BLM-AIM/NRCS-NRI-compatible Rangeland Indicators
- Monitor cover, composition, and height in under 20 minutes using a yardstick
- View calculated and graphed indicators
Monitor Soil Health
- Document field observations aligned with the NRCS In-Field Cropland Assessment protocol and soil indicators included in “Interpreting Indicators of Rangeland Health”
- Store lab data with your field observations for easy reference
© Mark Godfrey, courtesy of The Nature Conservancy
Discover Potential Wildlife Species in Your Area (North America only)
- View a selection of species that may occur near your location
- Compare species’ habitat with your data
Find tutorials, videos, and helpful guides for using LandPKS. Learn more about the methods used in the app. Access student and teacher resources. Access helpful resources for managing your land.
LandPKS Modules & Functions
Descriptions and background information for each of the LandPKS modules.
Examples of how LandPKS is being used across the globe.
Articles, books, and reports on research supporting LandPKS development and implementation.
From Our Blog
News, updates, and deep-dives into the LandPKS platform and resources for sustainable land management.
Since 2019, soilID, which links LandPKS users to existing soil maps of their location, has been at the core of LandPKS, and we just released a new version, available now.
LandPKS in the Field
Download LandPKS today for free and discover the value and potential of your land. Use this information to plan and track management actions, and to monitor soil health and vegetation indicators over time.
Details on upcoming LandPKS trainings, webinars, conferences, and other events.
© Meghan Mize, courtesy of The Nature Conservancy
We have no events planned at the moment. Check back soon!